Classic Chicken Pot Pie
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken (rotisserie chicken works well)
- 1 bag frozen mixed vegetables–cooked just short of fully cooked according to package directions.
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 sweet potato, peeled, chopped and steamed until just cooked.
- 2 premade pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place one pie crust in the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, cooked vegetables, and season taste. Set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, cook the onions in the butter until soft and translucent.
- Stir in the flour, salt and pepper. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk.
- Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat, pour over the chicken and vegetables and mix well.
- Pour mixture into the prepared pie shell and add top crust.
- Cut away any excess dough and seal the edges. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
- Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
*You can also make them in individual ramekins, pie-in-a-jar-sized jars, or in any oven-safe baker you choose—simply cut the pie crust to fit the baking dish.
Susan Shanagan lives in Northwest New Jersey. She is a food aficionado who loves to cook and experiment with delicious ingredients.