Here are some easy-to-follow tips that can help you cut down on gas and save a few dollars while protecting the environment.
Easy Ways To Conserve Gas
- Avoid fast acceleration.
- Obey speed limits. Driving too fast or too slow—yes, too slow—can waste gas. A steady pace is best.
- Don’t leave a car on when running into a store, even for a short time. Idling wastes a quart of gas every 15 minutes.
- Empty your trunk or truck bed. Every 200 pounds of unnecessary weight reduces mileage by one mile per gallon.
- Keep your tires inflated to correct pressures.
- Buy gasoline during coolest times of the day—early morning or late evening. During those times gasoline is densest.
- Use cruise control whenever possible, if you have it. Using cruise control will gain you 5% to 10% per gallon of gas on long trips.
- Walk or bicycle, if and when possible.
- Maintain your car with regular service checkups. A well-serviced vehicle can stretch your gas mileage by 15%.