The Farmers Almanac
BUY The 2018 Almanac NOW!

Appetizing Avocados

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Add to Google+ Share on Pinterest Subscribe by Email Print This Post

Avocado Reuben
Ingredients:
2 slices rye bread
Mustard
Thousand Island dressing
1 slice Swiss cheese
1/2 avocado, pitted, peeled, and sliced
1/4 cup sauerkraut

Directions:
Spread one slice of bread with some mustard and the other slice with Thousand Island dressing. Place the bread slices, dry side down, in a lightly oiled skillet. Top one slice with cheese and the other with sauerkraut. Over medium heat, grill the sandwich until lightly browned and hot, about 5 minutes. Lay the avocado slices over the sauerkraut, place the cheese half of the sandwich on top of it and enjoy!

(Continued Below)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Articles you might also like...

1 Mizvix { 12.14.16 at 6:47 am }

I use and taught mykids to make guacamole this way four large avocados favorite salsa lemon juice sour cream and dash of worstshire sauce, salt ,pepper, cayenne pepper, I like diced mild green Chili’s instead of jalapenos all spices to taste, onion powder, garlic smidge it’s healthy no taste should over whelm any other color is medium light green with the sour cream mash with fork not too much salsa or sour cream to thin splash of worst shire or substitute a little dill for balancing taste as you go keep color , thickness and balance as your guide. Thanks

2 Sharon { 05.02.13 at 9:54 am }

Growing up in Southern California we always heard that Avocados have to be grown on a slope within some distance to the sea. For some reason they require a sea breeze and are grown on a slope that faces the sea. Is this true?

Also there were over 20 varieties of Avocados grown in California in the 50’s and 60’s but the Haas became the most popular, so gradually now the Haas is the main variety you see in the markets these days.

3 Marty { 05.02.13 at 8:44 am }

Well I just like them .peel and eat

4 varaha { 05.01.13 at 10:01 pm }

My neighbor in Escondido CA, Mr. Good, explained to me, the oil content of any variety of avo depends on it’s maturity on the tree before picking. I now live in Miami and the tree
in my backyard produces the large Florida avo’s which are as oily as the CA Haas
variety. Great article. Thanks, varaha
Miami, FL

5 John { 05.01.13 at 3:15 pm }

I prefer to say, pears are avocado-shaped…

6 Pam K. { 05.01.13 at 11:57 am }

I can’t wait to try these recipes. Jaime McLeod you are a great writer. You should be an investigative reporter. You always research a subject and bring out very interesting facts. Keep up the great work!

7 Ali { 05.01.13 at 11:10 am }

I love avocados! I try to eat a half of one every day. I just sprinkle a little himalayan salt on it. Unless I’m making an avocado dip, I don’t bother adding anything to it. So good for u!!!

8 Sandi Duncan { 05.03.13 at 2:37 pm }

Raul please do share your recipe for guacamole — sounds delicious. I don’t use cumin but love garlic and use lots of that. Thanks

9 Raul Infante { 05.01.13 at 10:33 am }

Hi………I appreciate all the good information that you’re providing concerning avocados, allow me to tell you that within our Mexican or Hispanic Heritage avocados are consummed on a daily basis I also would like to tell you that the main ingredients in our guacamole, we don’t use cummin or garlic since thhese two types of spacies are irritant to some people. I have seen and taste these two spicies in what we call TEX_MEX restaurants but if you visit Mexico and tdon’t think you will see or taste that kind of guacalome.

If you notice a hole in the upper left-hand corner of your Farmers' Almanac, don't return it to the store! That hole isn't a defect; it's a part of history. Starting with the first edition of the Farmers' Almanac in 1818, readers used to nail holes into the corners to hang it up in their homes, barns, and outhouses (to provide both reading material and toilet paper). In 1919, the Almanac's publishers began pre-drilling holes in the corners to make it even easier for readers to keep all of that invaluable information (and paper) handy.

Spring Is Here – Sign Up Today!

The Farmers' Almanac is a gardener's best friend. Get 365 days of access to our online weather and gardening calendars + a copy of the 2017 Almanac
for only $13.99 $11.99!