A juicy grilled turkey burger meets crispy bacon and pineapple — a special combo of flavors that make this burger a winner!
Grilled Turkey Burger with Pineapple and Bourbon Brown Sugar Bacon
- ½ pound thick-cut bacon, cut into 1-inch-long pieces
- ¼ cup bourbon
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 pounds ground turkey meat formed into 8-ounce patties
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, Kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 4 butter lettuce leaves
- 4 fresh pineapple pieces, thickly sliced
- Kaiser rolls
- Bacon: In a large sauté pan on medium-high heat add in the bacon and brown on one side (3 to 4 minutes). Flip bacon over and deglaze with bourbon and add in the brown sugar and gently stir. Finish the bacon in the oven on 350°F for 10 minutes.
- Burger: Season burger patties with salt and pepper, then coat patties and pineapple slices on both sides with olive oil. Place the turkey patties on a hot grill and cook for 6 to 7 minutes per side or until they are browned on the outside and cooked thoroughly. After you flip the turkey burgers, place the pineapple slices on the grill to form grill marks. Place cheese on top of the burger patties to melt. Once the burgers and pineapple slices are cooked, remove from the heat and let rest for 2 to 3 minutes.
Judy Kneiszel is a freelance writer from De Pere, Wisconsin. She contributes to regional and national magazines and newsletters, writing on a wide variety of topics including food, farming, health, renewable energy, and running a small business.