Stomachaches and pains can be caused by many things, including:
- Chronic constipation
- Excessive gas
- Food poisoning
- Inflammation of the gallbladder
- Kidney stones
- Urinary tract infections
While some of these causes can be serious, sometimes an upset stomach is just that — a sick stomach. If you suffer from an occasional stomachache, here are some natural ways to remedy the ache:
Natural Remedies for Stomachache
- Think tea! Add lemon and, if needed, some honey.
- Eat an apple. Cut it up, keep the skin on, sprinkle with a little sugar and ground ginger. Heat it in the microwave for 40-45 seconds and eat warm.
- Lime sherbet and lemon-lime soda. Place a few scoops of sherbet in a glass and add some soda. Great for kids.
- Drink constant sips of either lukewarm or very warm water, but don’t drink it fast.
- If you can, try drinking a teaspoon of vinegar.
- Flat cola soda is also a helpful remedy.
- Drink water and lots of it. Water helps ensure smooth bowel movements.
- Avoid processed food like cheese, chocolate, and dairy products.
- Eat a balanced diet with plenty of dark green leafy vegetables.
- Stay active. A morning walk can help keep your digestive system healthy.
- Get enough rest — remember balance is key.
- And as always: if the pain is severe or lasts long, consult your doctor.