Forget the three cups of coffee or chocolate bar. A banana gives an instant, sustained, and substantial boost of energy.
Bananas contain three natural sugars – sucrose, fructose, and glucose combined with fiber. And research has proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout.
Yet, energy isn’t the only way a banana can help you keep fit. Eating bananas can also help overcome or prevent a substantial number of illnesses and conditions when added to your daily diet:
- Anemia: High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood and so help in cases of anemia.
- Constipation: High in fiber, bananas can help restore normal bowel action, helping to overcome the problem naturally without the use of laxatives.
- Depression: According to a recent survey undertaken by MIND amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better after eating a banana. This is because bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood, and generally make you feel happier.
- Heartburn: Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the body. When suffering from heartburn, try eating a banana for soothing relief.
- High Blood Pressure: This unique tropical fruit is extremely high in potassium yet low in salt, making it perfect to beat high blood pressure. So much so, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has just allowed the banana industry to make official claims for the fruit’s ability to reduce the risk of high blood pressure and stroke.
- Morning Sickness: Snacking on bananas between meals helps keep blood sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness.
- Nerves: Bananas are high in B vitamins, which help calm the nervous system.
- PMS: The vitamin B6 that bananas contain regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.
- Stress: Potassium is a vital mineral, which helps normalize the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain, and regulates your body’s water balance. When we are stressed, our metabolic rate rises, thereby reducing our potassium levels. These can be rebalanced with the help of a high-potassium banana snack.
- Strokes: According to research in The New England Journal of Medicine, eating bananas as part of a regular diet can cut the risk of death by strokes by as much as 40%!