While it’s known for its sweetness, honey has many health benefits. Here are just a few:
Natural Cures and Health:
- Skin grafts are more successful when the newly grafted skin is covered with honey. Honey keeps the dressings from sticking to the grafted skin in addition to reducing the chances of infection.
- The National Honey Board and the American Medical Association found through research that eating honey raised within a 50-miles radius of your home helps prevent allergies.
- Eating unfiltered, unheated honey produced within your area is like receiving a natural anti-allergy shot.
- Honey gives a slow steady release of energy instead of generating the peaks and valleys that come from eating sugar.
- Many weight lifters, tri-athletes, and competitive sports figures consume honey before, during and after a workout.
- During the Civil War, all wounds were treated with honey for its antibacterial qualities.
- Honey does not cause cavities. The sugars in honey don’t begin breaking down until they reach the stomach. Research is being done to include honey in toothpaste.
Other honey facts:
- Cooking honey to a high temperature for a period of time makes it more shelf stable, but depletes it nutritional benefits.