Do guardian angels exist? Many people believe somebody is always watching over them, serving as a guide through all the twists and turns of life. While those angels are viewed as spiritual, there are guardian angels in the natural world, and many of them choose to do good deeds on Be An Angel Day, recognized annually on August 22, since 1993.
Flesh and blood angels can also have a monumental impact on the lives of those they touch. There are a variety of opportunities for the average person to reach out to others in a positive way. This year, especially if you’ve been fortunate, what is stopping you from stepping into the role of becoming an angel for a day? If you are looking for ideas to participate in this worthwhile observance, here are a few suggestions:
– Purchase Christmas gifts for needy children — This is an act of kindness needed year-round. Religious organizations generally gear up this time of year for annual gift donations campaigns in order to fulfill Christmas wishes of children whose families are at an economic disadvantage. Imagine what it will be like for a child to wake up on Christmas day and have exactly what they asked for waiting underneath the tree?
– Visit the local food bank and make a donation or adopt a senior — This is a simple, yet kind gesture that senior citizens appreciate. For as little as $25 a month, a senior citizen can receive a couple bags of groceries they normally would not be able to obtain, considering many seniors spend much of their income on medications and choose to cancel purchasing groceries because they are on a fixed income and don’t have the funds to shop for food. If you can’t adopt a senior citizen alone, split the cost with a like-minded friend.
– Visit or call the person who most influenced you — When reaching out to this individual, it is essential you let them know just how instrumental they have been in your life. It is just as important to ask them if there is anything you can do for them to make his or her life a little easier. Something as thoughtful as bringing dinner along on the visit can demonstrate just how much you care.
– Bake cookies and visit a nursing home — You would be surprised just how thankful seniors will be to see you pay them a visit. Often times nursing home residents do not have regular visitors or any visitors at all. Just by having a short conversation with a nursing home patient and handing them homemade cookies and candies will brighten their day and let them know that somebody is thinking about them.
– Organize a block party and donate funds to a nonprofit — With so many worthwhile nonprofits struggling due to decreased donations and cuts in federal funding, making a sizeable monetary donation to a nonprofit can literally keep struggling programs afloat.