Summer is a great time of year to get outside, soak in the sun, and breathe in some healthy, fresh air. But with all of that exposed skin, summer also means more vulnerability to sunburns, heat rashes, skinned knees, insect bites, and other assaults to the body’s largest organ.
The following herbal remedies can help to relieve the discomfort of cuts, scrapes, or other skin irritations, so you can get on with enjoying your summer!
- Aloe Vera: Gel from the aloe vera plant has long been used to treat burns, scrapes, and other skin irritations. Its potent anti-inflammatory properties dilate blood vessels, speeding up the healing process. Prevents infection and scarring.
- Agrimony: An infusion of this flowering herb can be used to stop bleeding from cuts and scrapes. It is also useful for reducing inflammation from pimples, rashes, and other skin irritations.
- Calendula: This member of the daisy family is a powerful anti-inflammatory and antibacterial for cuts and scrapes. It also helps to stimulate new tissue growth.
- Cayenne powder: A dusting of this common kitchen spice can stop bleeding in a pinch!
- Chamomile: Use the essential oil from this flower to relieve rashes, burns, cuts, abscesses, and boils. Its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties work wonders.
- Chickweed: Make a poultice of this common weed to cool and soothe minor burns, skin irritations, and rashes. Acts to relieve dryness and itching.
- Cinnamon: This common kitchen spice can reduce pain and disinfect wounds
- Clove: Another everyday household spice that reduces pain and disinfects wounds.
- Comfrey: Salves and ointments from this flowering herb soothe burns, ulcerations, abrasions, lacerations, insect bites, and many other forms of skin irritation.
- Geranium: Apply oil from this popular garden flower to stop heavy bleeding.
- Goldenseal: Powder from this flowering herb has powerful antimicrobial and antiseptic, and anti-inflammatory properties. It can also be sprinkled directly onto cuts or wounds to stop bleeding.
- Gotu Kola: An extract of this herb can speeds healing of cuts by increasing collagen production in the skin.
- Honey: Applying this natural sweetener to minor cuts and scrapes can help speed healing. It is also an effective antibacterial treatment.
- Lavender: Use the essential oil from this pleasant-smelling herb to relieve rashes, burns, cuts, abscesses, and boils. Its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties speeds healing and relieves pain. Read more about lavender for health!
- Rosemary: Make a skin wash from the diluted essential oil of this fragrant evergreen to clean out cuts and scrapes.
- St. John’s Wort: Known primarily as a depression cure, flowering herb also possesses anti-inflammatory properties.
- Tea Tree Oil: This popular essential oil has strong antimicrobial with antiseptic properties and also reduces inflammation on rashes, burns, cuts, abscesses, and boils.
- Witch Hazel: Makes a great all-purpose remedy for scrapes, cuts, abrasions, burns, itches, and other forms of skin inflammation.