The Farmers Almanac
BUY The 2018 Almanac NOW!

7 Ways The Moon May Influence Your Health

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Add to Google+ Share on Pinterest Subscribe by Email Print This Post
7 Ways The Moon May Influence Your Health

Whenever there’s a full Moon, we hear from many of our readers that things go a little off-kilter out in the world — kids act a bit crazier, people are more impatient, and more. Even the word “lunatic” stems from the Latin word luna, meaning Moon, and there’s plenty of evidence to support that erratic behavior does occur in some people around the time of a full Moon.

But mood and behavior are not the only things the Moon seems to influence. Here are 7 interesting things researchers have found regarding the Moon and its effects on your health.

1. Heart
Can the Moon’s cycles have an affect on your heart? Apparently so, but not in the romantic sense.  A study published in the Indian Journal of Basic and Applied Medical Research found that when exercising, your heart is at its peak performance during a full and new Moon. So check the phases of the Moon before hitting the gym!

2. Brain
Much like the Moon is responsible for the ebb and flow of tides, since our brains are a significant source of water, Dutch researchers hypothesize the Moon’s gravitational pull could similarly have an effect on your brain, causing erratic behavior. See Do Full Moons Make People Crazy?

(Continued Below)

Other studies by British scientists reveal that a full Moon may actually decrease seizure activity in epileptics. In these cases, however, researchers suggest it may be the due to brightness of the Moon rather than its phases. When the Moon was bright, participants had fewer epileptic seizures. They attribute this to the hormone melatonin, which is naturally secreted in your brain when the Sun goes down, hence signaling it’s time to sleep. In epileptics, they surmise, the brightness of the full Moon counters this release, thus decreasing seizures.

We also hear from our Facebook fans all the time: complaints of headaches and migraines around the time of the full Moon. While no scientific correlation is made between migraines and the full Moon, full Moons can disrupt sleep (see #4) which, in turn, disrupts hormone levels, thus triggering headaches.

3. Kidneys
A 2011 study published in the Journal of Urology found that kidney stone pain increased significantly during a full Moon. And in another study, English researches found that generally, more patients were admitted to hospitals with urological emergencies during this time, too. Conversely, the new Moon caused a “calming effect” for people with these conditions.

Coincidence? Maybe not. One theory behind these conclusions is that the kidneys, like other organs and the human body itself, are made up of about 60 percent water, and just as lunar activity can affect our oceans, creating powerful and predictable tides, the Moon may affect the workings of these organs, causing a noticeable ebb and flow in times of calm and pain. Not all researchers agree, but there is enough evidence that additional studies are in the works.

4. Sleep
A 2013 study published in Current Biology reviewed the sleep patterns of participants over three days in which they were allowed to fall asleep at will in a controlled area that had neither clocks nor outside light. When the data was compared to the phases of the Moon, researchers determined participants not only had lower melatonin levels during bright Moon phases, but they also took 5 minutes longer to fall asleep, slept 20 minutes less in general, and had 30 percent less REM sleep. And if you’re not getting enough sleep, your health suffers.

5. Menstrual Cycle
A woman’s average menstrual cycle is 28 days, which is quite similar to the 29+ day lunar cycle. This timing may be more than coincidence according to Chinese researchers who discovered that almost 30 percent of all the women monitored ovulated at the full Moon and menstruated during the new Moon. In some cultures there is even a name for this phenomenon, called White Moon Cycle, that essentially mirrors the fertility of the Earth which is said to be most fertile under full moonlight.

6. Increased Birthrate
Japanese researchers discovered something interesting: there was a significant increase in the number of births when the gravitation of the Moon to the Earth was most powerful. While researchers admit they are still unclear on exactly how or why this relationship exists, they say it might help healthcare professionals and pregnant women better prepare.

Additionally, one Italian study examined more than 1,200 births over three years and found a higher number of babies born in the two days after a full Moon.

7. Increased Injuries
Since the full Moon can affect our behavior in certain ways, it should come as no surprise that we are more prone to accidents or illness during this time, according to some. One 2011 study published in World Journal of Surgery found that over 40 percent of medical personnel believe in “Full Moon Madness” among patients. It was also revealed that emergency calls for all sorts of conditions actually increases by 3 percent whenever there’s a full Moon, and then drops by 6 percent during a new Moon.

In 2008 British researchers found a link between the lunar cycle and what doctors call “medically unexplained stroke symptoms,” where patients develop complaints such as headaches, numbness and co-ordination issues but have nothing physically wrong with them.

What do you think — do you experience any changes in your health during the full Moon? Share your stories with us in the comments below.

Articles you might also like...

1 d. ellis phelps { 09.07.17 at 12:17 pm }

The Restless Legs Syndrome I experience is profoundly more uncomfortable during both the new and the full moons, for days before but usually subsiding afterward. I can see myself, a werewolf, in another life, running the streets at midnight under a full moon!

2 Carrie { 09.06.17 at 9:51 pm }

We tend to travel most when the moon is full. I started to notice that we seemed to be driving or flying somewhere within a day or two of the full moon.

3 M L H { 09.06.17 at 2:02 pm }

I would like to remind people that the moon comes over every day you just din’t see it because it is only partly illuminated but it is the same moon you see when it is fully illuminated. Why would it have more power fully lit. The tides come in and go out every day all month long. A full moon has no more effect than any other.

4 Kathy Anderson { 09.06.17 at 11:51 am }

Well….now that you mention it, I had a flare up of my diverticulitis starting on Sunday right before the full moon! And had to call the ER on Monday, Labor Day. I could not figure out what triggered it so was it the full moon??

5 George Paul { 09.06.17 at 11:13 am }

My dad had his fatal heart attack 10/23/1980. Later I read that full moon fatal heart attacks are common. Another study read years later said not so…

6 Medhba { 09.06.17 at 10:13 am }

Very informative article & comments! I’m a ♏️ (Scorpio) & my oldest son & youngest daughter are ♋️ (Cancer). I have PTSD, Major Depressive Disorder & intense anxiety (with panic attacks). My symptoms are out of control with the full moon – which I just realized (thanks so much for the article). My ♋️ son goes “on the prowl” the week before full moon; my ♋️ daughter’s ADHD & anxiety are ridiculously out of whack during the full moon. I’m going to start journaling behavior & moon cycles for myself & family! (BTW, it’s the Corn Moon now so it’s the perfect time to start.) ??

7 Goldie { 08.30.17 at 12:48 pm }

Pennsylvania Dutch folks know about “white night” a few days before, and sometimes on, the full moon. Sleep is hard to come by, and what sleep you can get is very restless. Also noted, more babies born around and during a full moon. Years ago doctors would not schedule elective surgeries as bleeding was more profuse in all surgeries during full moon times. Again, the pull of the moon on our 85%-water bodies!

8 Shonya { 08.06.17 at 11:19 am }

Augustus, parasites/pathogens breed according to the lunar cycle. Integrative medicine recognizes this and has for a long time (traditional medicine remains ignorant). If you have severe intestinal problems that wax and wane according to the lunar cycle, you are probably carrying something. Google is your friend.

9 agustus { 07.13.17 at 5:12 am }

my medical history involves 15 Intestential surgeries.leaving constant pain.I am finally seeing the distinct connection 10 days before the full moon, the pain is so much more severe, and once the moon is full, and starts to recede, pain is lightened back to chronic.
it is so bad for the 10 days prior to the full moon, many times require trips to the hospital.
when you see this occurrence every month for 2 years, you finally can prepare for what is to come, The Full Moon torture.?
I still love my moons!

10 Kenneth { 06.07.17 at 9:55 pm }

HI yes on the day before the day of and day after a full moon i get suoer creative and come up with all this crazy philosophy and inventions (ect) and on the last full moon in may i would here bible verses in my head for like 3 days straight especially in the morning when i first wake up i can hear or like see verses in my head of Jesus and his commandments’ i sounds crazy but its true!?

11 Tiffany { 05.10.17 at 4:39 am }

Not only did I give birth on the super moon, the lady and her mother were in the same unit both giving birth at the same time! My partner then past a kidney stone after the birth of our son!

12 Tricia { 05.08.17 at 11:18 pm }

I have noticed over the years, I am more alert/wired on full moon nights, especially if I can see them. I love to see them, as many as I can. We have many cloudy days/nights. Its a little after 8pm now, and I can see it out my window 5/8. It looks perfect.

13 Orass { 04.20.17 at 7:31 pm }

I am 28 years old,male,♋ cancer I did not know anything about the full moon thing until I was 27 I always get mood swings on the new and full moon, it affects my behavior I have lots more then 5 relationships and friendships because of that but I finally realized that and start to have control over my life,I still dont go out in the full moon or communicate with others and when it is full moon I usually stare at it the whole night,it’s just weird but I just can’t get my eyes out of it the whole nights when it’s full.after the full moon I feel more creative, peaceful fully connected mind and body.

14 Dawne'ne Jewett { 04.17.17 at 1:41 pm }

I ‘am a cancer as well and the moon and the tides effect
my whole being…. friends call me Moon Lady my whole life !

15 brian marchant { 04.09.17 at 11:15 pm }

I am 56 I am positive the moon affects my behavior always within 2 days of a full moon I have erratic behavior, I have a friend that knew me just a short time and by the second full moon mentioned it to me and said I should stay home and not deal with anything or anyone during the full moon, I was acting very out of the ordinary today and decided to check the moon sure enough full I had to go back and apologize to 2 people because i had lost my patience with them, I am now going to post a schedule of when its occurring on my refrigerator and seclude myself 2 days before as thats when i seem to become loony hahahaha

16 Linda Mulinix { 04.09.17 at 8:17 pm }

I am a cancer, the moon is my planet. I have noticed on a full moon i am at my peak performance, think more creatively, am more outgoing and feel great. Once the moon starts to wan I go into a depression, slowly come out of it as the moon gets fuller. I have noticed this all my life!

17 Corina Stafford { 03.16.17 at 10:16 pm }

I have restless legs. They ALWAYS hurt more severely during a full moon. Also, I trim my hair during a full moon, and it grows rapidly.

18 evieevyev { 03.11.17 at 9:46 am }

I take care of a lady for 5yrs now that has lewey body dementia and one thing I noticed was there would be times that we call the down days where she is sorta not responsive. more spacy, cant stand .walk, was more tired or sleepy .little seizurs or more intense different things could happen , I would come to work n her husband would say not a good nite or yesterday wasn’t a good day (if I was off the day before) I say well I saw the banana moon..i started keeping track 2yrs ago, when I noticed the moon while feeding my animals in the evening, and either it was starting to happen earlier while at work or when I came in the next day, every time it always happens.

19 Rebecca Jones { 03.10.17 at 2:39 pm }

I am 65 years old and had a terrible time with my periods from the time I was 16 until I had a hysterectomy when I was 51 (not my ovaries). I went worst of menopause in my mid-50s. But, strangely, every single month when the moon is full, sometimes a day or so before or after, my sexual desire peaks for about 4-5 days, then about 12-14 days afterwards, I have some cramps in the area of my ovaries. As I thought back about it, I realized that I have always had this almost insatiable sexual desire at the full moon. I recently discovered that I was born on a full moon. I am convinced that the moon has played a huge part in my desire; which I have never minded at all (nor my husband)! I always go outside when the moon is full and howl!!! True story.

20 Amelia { 03.09.17 at 7:48 pm }

I worked for years in the Labor/delivery room and it certainly seemed the birth rate increased during the full moon. A friend worked in the ER and she saw an increase in patients with some psych issues. I wish we had documented that……

21 Letha MacPherson { 03.09.17 at 2:49 am }

Yes i for sure notice a big difference in sleep, i think if you have trouble sleeping to begin with that problem increases during a full Moon ! Thanks & God bless