How healthy is your travel diet? Many people are able to maintain good eating habits at home, only to fall short while on the road. Sometimes this works out fine, especially if travel is typically during vacations or short stays away. For those who adventure elsewhere often, however, healthy non-home-based eating takes on added importance. The same holds true for individuals who, due to work or family obligations, eat out frequently.
Maximize your chances of having a nutritionally balanced diet, regardless of where you might be, by following these simple guidelines:
– Investigate restaurant choices ahead of time. Peruse online menus or call ahead to see if your dietary needs will be met.
– Patronize known dining establishments. Some chains offer a full salad bar, while others have heart-healthy or gluten-free meals available.
– Keep it simple. Meals needn’t be five-course affairs. Soup (especially one made with vegetable or chicken stock) and a plain salad dressed with vinaigrette can be very satisfying.
– Make your protein lean. Chose fish and skinless chicken-preferably broiled-over fatty or fried meat.
– Avoid the extras. Steer clear of appetizers, desert, and alcohol, if trying to decrease your caloric intake.
– Start the day with whole grains and produce. “Continental” breakfasts and breakfast buffets are rife with temptation. Chose oatmeal and fruit over heavier foods. Minimize sugared cereals and pastries.
– If traveling, stay in a room with a stove. Many hotels, especially “residential” hotels, have kitchenettes. Take advantage of this amenity by purchasing ready-made dinners at a local supermarket.
– Having a cache of non-perishable snacks. Nuts, raisins and high-quality nutrition bars come in handy when healthy foods are lacking. Need a quick and easy breakfast? Keep packets of instant oatmeal and green tea on hand.
Healthy travel eating is well within reach. It simply requires a little ingenuity, and perhaps a bit of planning. Taking this “road less travelled,” however, promises to make all the difference!