Whether you have a traditional fireplace or a wood-burning heater, it takes more than firewood to get a good blaze going. You need some kindling material.
Newspaper almost always works. But there are other kindling sources as well. Here are some ideas:
- Save empty toilet paper, paper towel and wax paper rolls. Place on top of newspaper.
- Collect and use dry pinecones as kindling.
- Collect and break off twigs from fallen tree branches and place in fireplace.
- Fill small cardboard boxes with newspaper, pinecones and wood chips to help start a fire.
- Visit a new home construction site. Ask the building contractor if you can clean up and cart away the sawn off wood pieces from baseboards, cabinets, wood flooring, wood railing, etc.
- Ask a local furniture or cabinetmaker or hobby wood worker to save their scrap wood pieces for you. Provide a large garbage can to collect the scraps and to make it easy for you to haul home when filled.