The lounge chair is aimed toward the golden sun. The plush, over-sized beach towel draped across the chair is calling your name. You’re ready to relax, soak up the sunshine and the soothing sounds of the surf. Yet, every time you adjust the back of the chair, or change positions, it’s a struggle getting the towel back in place. Are you ready to put an end to the towel tug-of-war? Here is a simple solution that will keep your towel from slipping off your beach lounge all summer long. Try this easy-to-sew project.
To make a beach lounge slipcover you’ll need:
- 1 large beach towel
- 1 bath towel in a coordinating color
- Sewing machine and a serger
- Thread, scissors, straight pins, newspaper and marking pen
As shown in the photo above, the beach towel will have a hood to easily drape over the back of your chair. At the bottom you’ll keep the wind from blowing your towel away with two long strips tied underneath the chair. The ties and the hood will be cut from a bath towel and sewn onto the beach towel.
- First, make the ties for the bottom of the chair cover. Cut the two longest side seams (lengthwise) off the bath towel, leaving the stitching intact. Tack one strip using a needle and thread or a sewing machine, to the underside of the beach towel at the bottom on both sides. These strips will be tied together underneath the chair, to help hold it in place.
- To make the hood piece that slips over the top of the chair, you’ll need to make a simple pattern. Hold newspaper against desired chair back and trace around the arc, (top three sides) with a marking pen. Cut arc pattern from the newspaper. Lay the newspaper template on the bath towel and cut a piece from the towel, making it at least 6” inches in height. Serge around the raw edges of the towel slipcover piece to keep it from fraying. If you don’t have a serging machine, use a sewing machine to sew a zigzag stitch along the edge.
- Pin finished hood towel piece to the top back of the beach towel (see black slipcover in photo below). Using a sewing machine, sew the towel hood to the beach towel, leaving the bottom horizontal portion open.
Slip your lounge cover over the headrest; tie the strips in a bow underneath the chair, and you’re ready to lounge in comfort. Relax, Rejuvenate and Enjoy!