The Farmers Almanac
BUY The 2018 Almanac NOW!

Diffusing Essential Oils For Health

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Add to Google+ Share on Pinterest Subscribe by Email Print This Post
Diffusing Essential Oils For Health

A diffuser and essential oils work in harmony like a gentle breeze dispersing the perfumed fragrance of honeysuckle flowers from the vine into the air. If you’ve ever rubbed rosemary or lavender leaves between your thumb and forefinger, the aroma that lingers on your fingertips is from the volatile oils (essential oils) released from a gland in the plant.

Essential oils are the natural, aromatic extracts from botanicals.  Plants contain varying compounds; extracted essential oils may have anti-inflammatory, antiviral, anti-fungal or antiseptic properties.

Diffusing pure, therapeutic essential oils to promote harmony and well-being of the body, mind, and spirit through the senses is referred to as Aromatherapy.  As the scent reaches the smell receptors in the nose, it continues to travel along the nerves in the olfactory system to affect the limbic system in the brain, thus affecting the whole person. Diffusing essential oils can evoke a wide range of emotions, as varied as the fragrances emitted.  They can have a calming or stimulating effect, improve mental clarity or help clear congested nasal passages. Diffusing essential oils also removes odors in the air, instead of masking them, and can destroy airborne germs and bacteria.

Choosing a Diffuser and Essential Oil
Essential oils and diffusers can be purchased from local health food stores, essential oil distributors and online shops. Synthetic fragrances are not a good substitute for pure, therapeutic essential oils. Dispersing artificial fragrances into your home can lead to allergies and asthmatic reactions. Always use pure, therapeutic grade essential oils.

(Continued Below)

Diffusers are available in a variety of shapes.  Select a cool water diffuser for maximum health benefits. Heat can destroy the beneficial properties in essential oils. Ultrasonic, cool water diffusers use high frequency ultrasonic technology, instead of heat, to vibrate the water inside the unit, and release a fine, fragrant beneficial mist into the air.

Diffusers are easy to use. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions, which often include essential oil blend recipes.  Add water to the reservoir and several drops of one essential oil or a combination, and then plug the unit into a standard electrical outlet. Diffusers generally run about four hours.

DIY reed diffusers can be used with essential oils, although they emit very little fragrance. If buying a reed diffuser ensure that it contains no synthetic oils or artificial fragrances. Reed diffusers do not produce a therapeutic mist, like a cool water diffuser, but can be used in the home to add a touch of fragrance naturally.

Where to Use Essential Oil Diffusers
Depending on the essential oils selected, diffusers can be used indoors in every room occupied in the home for many purposes: to refresh and invigorate, to soothe and calm, to eliminate unpleasant odors and kill germs, to purify the air, ease a headache, and enhance concentration when studying or working at a computer.

Diffusing Essential Oil Blend Recipes
Consult the manufacturer’s suggested care and instructions to determine how much water and oils to use in your diffuser. Many essential oil companies include free recipes with their products. The following are provided by Now Solutions:

Mental Focus Blend – Add the following oils to a diffuser with water and enjoy: 3 drops of eucalyptus oil, 2 drops each of peppermint oil and tangerine oil.

Energizing Blend – Add the following oils to a diffuser with water and enjoy: 1 drop each of peppermint oil, and rosemary oil and 2 drops of cinnamon oil.

Purifying Blend – Add the following oils to a diffuser with water and enjoy: 1 drop each of tea tree oil and grapefruit oil and 10 drops of lemon oil.

Relaxing Blend – Add the following oils to a diffuser with water and enjoy: 10 drops of lavender oil, and 6 drops of chamomile oil.

Articles you might also like...

1 Lori { 12.06.14 at 8:24 am }

So sad how a battle has to happen over which oil company is best! I too do not want to forward this nice article either due to all of the comments. Seems everyone is trying to get some business out of this one. I am a Wellness Advocate for wonderful essential oils but will not try to tear another company down. As the article states purity is so very important. Make sure the oils do not have any synthetic in them. I have a lady who has fibromyalgia and started our oils go from 13 prescription meds down to 5 and then is hardly on any now and works out now and she said “thank you for giving my life back!” That is where it is all at! Another lady had surgery scheduled for cystitis and started an oil regimen we looked up and she ended up cancelling her surgery after taking and using these oils! They help pets as welll! There is even a website for the pets and oils, amazing! Look into the oils for you and your family! You will not be sorry you did! May we all be healthier with oils!

2 Kim { 12.04.14 at 10:25 am }

Reasons my husband and I (as well as many family and friends) choose Young Living™ oils is:
1). THEY WORK
2). The company’s transparency, belief in God and incorporate that into their daily business, and their giving nature. They gift so much back to their members!
3). LOVE the wholesale discount!
4). Did I mention THEY WORK…AND QUICKLY!!!
5). http://www.SeedtoSeal.com – and we members can go visit the farms, help plant, see the distillation process, help harvest and help build new farms if we choose to, (again…very transparent).
6). I’m healthier than I’ve been in years and much happier now that I have incorporated YL oils into my life.

As for other companies…I don’t refute them. We all have the freedom to choose. YL has been in business for 20 years and is the essential oil leader and there are reasons for that. As my mama used to say…”the proof is in the pudding” so to speak. Blessings to all no matter what natural product you choose. I’m just happy to hear that so many more people are getting healthier because of natural products. Healthy people are happy people and happy people don’t fight, argue, abuse children or their spouses and happy people don’t cause riots! Be well all.

3 Renee M { 12.02.14 at 9:21 am }

1 ~ DoTerra did break off of Yl several years ago, worked for YL, then formed their own company. Saw the growing market, made a good business move. Still not YL

2 ~ stop recommending ppl do their research when you’re reciting information you have heard but haven’t you yourself researched

3 ~ look for non biased information on how to select a good oil, then decide what to use

4 quit comparing other companies to YL, you will NEVER see Yl compare itself to another company, why is that?

4 Jamie Etters { 12.02.14 at 1:32 am }

I love this article, however I’m disappointed in some of the comments and the essential oil war that goes on between distributors among the many MLM companies. It’s so harsh, I don’t even want to like or forward the article in fear someone would read the comments… Wish the comments could be hidden.

5 Cheryl Westphal { 12.01.14 at 9:43 pm }

doTerra is the only way to go!! The are not locally grown, but instead, are harvested at the source to which they’re indiginious!!! They are CPTG oils and I wouldn’t use any other!!!

6 casey { 12.01.14 at 2:35 pm }

Young living oils are amazing! Love my oils!!

7 Melissa { 12.01.14 at 9:36 am }

I love my Young Living Oils. I have been using them for a solid year now and have used other companies, both multi-level and non multi-level in the past. It is absolutely important do to your own research and to find what is important to you. For me, it was clear to go with Young Living. If you’d like more information on Young Living or want to try some samples, send me a message! melissa.at.youngliving@gmail.com

8 Mike Biering { 12.01.14 at 9:31 am }

Great Article!! I am very new to EO’s but have quickly become a huge fan!! I currently use the Améo line from Zija International which are Clinical Grade and are proven to be Cell Active and Permeable. I also know that I get to verify each bottle of oil and see each of the tests that the oil went through by a unique batch code that I enter on a website. With all the questions of purity I am comfortable knowing that I have access to that kind of information!!

If you want to learn more you can email me at mike.biering.com or 770-570-8595

9 Christy { 12.01.14 at 2:12 am }

What a great article. After researching essential oils for months I personally use Young Living. Their Seed to Seal promise really made them stand apart. Plus, they’re the only essential oil I tired that didn’t give me a reaction topically. I’m sure there are other great companies out there. I was just very impressed by the quality and the transparency by the founder. Been a happy
oiler for 8 months now! Love em!

10 Vita-Mor { 12.01.14 at 12:49 am }

Now Foods makes high quality essential oils. The diffuser shown above also comes from Now Foods. Both can be purchased at health stores.

11 Kristina { 12.01.14 at 12:22 am }

Oh and dōTERRA is NOT a branch off of YL and saying so is actually against YLs policy!

12 Kristina { 12.01.14 at 12:20 am }

I agree, do your research. YL has a very jaded past and the CEO is a felon!! He has no standard of quality and he has been proven WRONG so many times!!!

13 Peggy Tipton { 11.30.14 at 10:07 pm }

Becki Smith I will put a catalog in the Mail tomorrow for doTerra products. You can also go to my website at “mydoTerra.com/all4youoils”. You can also call me at 314-609-6690 any time with questions.

14 Linda { 11.30.14 at 8:06 pm }

Do-Terra was branched off of Young Living, both are good companies, I don’t like the way they fight over each of their companies, even in law suits. I use them both. I also like Spark Natural and Garden Eden, they are no MLM companies either. These are all pure and natural oils and have healing capabilities. Go to http://www.diynatural.com for many ideas and recipes to make all your own products with oils as well.

15 Patty Hansen { 11.30.14 at 7:31 pm }

I use doTerra essential oils and absolutely love them. They have changed my home and family!

16 Kevin { 11.30.14 at 5:46 pm }

Only Certi-5 oil on market for therapeutic and clinical grading standards.

17 Tammy R { 11.30.14 at 5:31 pm }

Young Living Essential Oils are the best!!! The ONLY Essential Oils with a “Seed to Seal” guarantee!!

18 Danica { 11.30.14 at 4:39 pm }

I personally only use doTERRA EOs. I am very much influenced by the co-impact sourcing and working directly with the growers in those poverish countries,being able to know that my purchases help build schools, put running water and flushing toilets to places that may bot otherwise get that. But I always encourage everyone to do their research and go with what they feel is the best fit for them.

19 Ms. Sandra Lee Nelson { 11.30.14 at 4:35 pm }

rlnelson@hotmail.com for all of your needs with Do Terra Essential Oils. My Daughter Rhonda Nelson takes this very seriously, she follows up with all of her customers. This is her career! 336-782-1541

20 Ms. Sandra Lee Nelson { 11.30.14 at 4:27 pm }

My Daughter Rhonda Nelson is a Wellness Advocate for Do Terra Essential Oils. I love them, they are helping me get off of prescription medication.

21 Lavender Lobby { 11.30.14 at 4:24 pm }

Great article.

Visit http://www.lavenderlobby.com for more essential oil information and resources (including diffusers).

22 Jamie Smith { 11.30.14 at 4:20 pm }

Very informative article. Thank you Deborah. Kim, great question. I’d encourage you to look into the first and only clinical grade EO company that recently hit the market called Améo. It’s generating a lot of buzz in the oil industry. Here’s a short video to help explain what makes Améo so special and different.

23 Becki Smith { 11.30.14 at 3:27 pm }

I would like a catalog please mailed to 18 Dartmouth Ln Falling Waters, Wv 25419 thanks you

24 barb { 11.30.14 at 3:18 pm }

love Young Living !

25 joann { 11.30.14 at 3:00 pm }

Only DoTERRA for me. Love my essential oils!

26 Kim { 11.30.14 at 2:46 pm }

Thank you 🙂 I so appreciate your help 🙂 and will research a lil bit 🙂

27 jenn { 11.30.14 at 2:41 pm }

Do your research. Young Living is the higher quality oil and is the only one who offers the seed to seal promise. Search insert Pinterest for essential oil companies and they have charts showing what YL and the others offer versus each other and while doterra is cheaper, it does not offer the sane quality.

28 Judy Moore { 11.30.14 at 2:36 pm }

Spark Naturals are my favorite great oils….no MLM!

29 Kim { 11.30.14 at 2:33 pm }

This is what I mean, there is so many good companies 🙂 love it !!

30 Sandra R { 11.30.14 at 2:29 pm }

Do-Terra essential oils are the best.

31 Kim { 11.30.14 at 2:28 pm }

Thank you so much Sarah!!

32 Sarah { 11.30.14 at 2:27 pm }

Young Living Essential oils are the best!

33 Kim { 11.30.14 at 2:22 pm }

What is a good company for purchasing the oils? there is so many.

34 Evelyn Vincent { 11.30.14 at 2:06 pm }

Wonderful article Deborah, you give the reader some great info to consider before purchasing a diffuser and oils. I’ve been using essential oils since 1990 and I love them, I would not want to be without them, they’re so versatile.

35 newave { 11.29.14 at 5:33 pm }

great article Deborah, I needed this reminder to keep those oils in the air and raise my vibration.

36 Ali { 11.26.14 at 9:44 am }

Love essentials oils! Every morning I spray my bed with diluted lavender oil in water.