When we suggested a recipe contest in 2016 using lemons, our readers proved there’s a lot more than lemonade you can make with them! We received over 100 yummy recipes and we had a delicious time making and tasting them. We narrowed it down to the top three.
This recipe earned 2nd place ($150 cash!), submitted by Rajane Williams of Schertz, Texas. Serve with mashed potatoes or rice pilaf for the perfect dinner the whole family will enjoy!
Easy Lemon Thyme Chicken
- juice from 3 lemons
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 lb. chicken thighs and drumsticks
- Preheat oven to 425˚F.
- In a bowl, add the juice of the lemons, leaves from thyme sprigs, garlic, salt, red pepper flakes, and olive oil.
- Meanwhile, put the chicken into a resealable bag or bowl with lid, add marinade, and let sit refrigerated for 15 minutes.
- Next, place chicken in a cast-iron skillet (reserve the marinade – you’ll be adding it to the cooking process shortly) and bake for 30 minutes.
- Pour reserved marinade onto the chicken and bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy on top.
- Take out of the oven, let rest for 5 minutes, and serve.