Maple Sweet Potato Biscuits-Gluten Free
- 1 large sweet potato, pierced with fork
- 1 1/3 cups gluten-free flour, plus additional
- 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Microwave sweet potato until tender, about 6 minutes per side or until soft/done. Halve, and scoop out 1 cup flesh. Cool.
- Blend flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt in processor. Add butter; pulse to a coarse meal. Add potato, buttermilk, and syrup; process to blend. Add nuts; pulse to blend.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface, and pat or roll into 8 1/2-inch square. Using a biscuit cutter or glass, cut out 8 large or 16 small biscuits. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown.
Jaime McLeod is a longtime journalist who has written for a wide variety of newspapers, magazines, and websites, including MTV.com. She enjoys the outdoors, growing and eating organic food, and is interested in all aspects of natural wellness.