The following information is provided to assist advertising agencies and graphic designers in preparing and submitting advertising material to the Farmers’ Almanac.
|Advertising Options||Ad Dimensions||Full Bleed Ad Dimensions|
|Full Page||4 1/4″ W x 7″ H||* 5 3/4″ W x 8 1/2″ H|
|Two-Page Spread||9″ W X 7″ H||11 1/4″ W X 8 1/2″ H|
|Half Page – Horizontal||4 1/4″ W x 3 7/16″ H||Not Available|
|Half Page – Vertical||2 1/16″ W x 7″ H||Not Available|
|Quarter Page – Horizontal||4 1/4″ W x 1 11/16″ H||Not Available|
|Quarter Page – Vertical||2 1/16″ W x 3 7/16″ H||Not Available|
|Inside Front Cover||4 1/4″ W x 7″ H||* 5 3/4″ W x 8 1/2″ H|
|Inside Back Cover||4 1/4″ W x 7″ H||* 5 3/4″ W x 8 1/2″ H|
|Outside Back Cover||4 1/4″ W x 7″ H||* 5 3/4″ W x 8 1/2″ H|
|Specialty Section||2 1/8″ H x 1 7/8″ W||Not Available|
|Direct Response Section Large||2 1/8″ H x 1 7/8″ W||Not Available|
|Direct Response Section Small||1″ H x 1 7/8″ W||Not Available|
* FOR FULL PAGE BLEEDS Please keep live text within a 4 1/4″ W x 7″ H area. Live copy should be no closer than 1/2″ from outside edges and or the gutter of the publication.
- Finished publication size: 5 1/4″ W x 8″ H
- Single hole drilled top left corner.
- Full-color ads available and printed on the outside back, and inside front and back covers, and in our white glossy paper section only. PMS inks are not available. The Farmers’ Almanac is printed using Web offset method and is perfect bound.
Important Guidelines for Creating Your Ad and Digital Files
- We cannot accept a laser printer output as print-ready material. It can be use only as a proof of your ad when being submitted.
- Documents and or files created in QuarkXpress 6.5, Adobe Illustrator 9.0 and CS, and Adobe Photoshop 7.0 and CS, and Adobe Acrobat 7.0 are accepted. Please set Adobe Distiller job option settings to “Press Quality”.
- For best reproduction of screen tints on newsprint, do not use tint values greater than 30%.
- For best reproduction of reverse print type, a minimum size of 7 points is recommended.
- The use of Postscript Type 1 fonts stored in a single folder is preferred.
- 4-color images must be submitted as CMYK and not RGB or PMS.
- All images must be uncompressed and be in TIFF or EPS format, not JPG.
- Our production department is primarily Macintosh computer based.
Line Screens for Halftones, Tints, and 4-Color Separations
- 100 line screen is recommended for halftone tints in the newsprint section of the Almanac.
- For the Almanac cover, 175 line for halftone and 4-color separations (Dot gain 15%), 133 for screen tints (Dot gain 20%).
- For scanning dpi, 200 for 100-line output and 262 dpi for 175 output is recommended.
Submitting Your Advertising Material
All advertising materials must be submitted to the publisher before May 1st (date subject to change). Ads may be sent electronically via FTP. Please contact us for FTP instructions. Documents and files can also be submitted on a CD. Please be sure to include all images, screen and printer fonts used to make up your ad. Please be sure to include all fonts embedded in PDF files. A current one-sided laser proof at 100% of the ads original size must also be provided. Ads requiring resizing, alterations, or intervention will be charged $50 per hour for production work.
If using US mail or a overnight shipping service, please send your advertising materials to:
Farmers’ Almanac Advertising Materials
P.O. Box 1609, 70 Mt. Hope Ave.
Lewiston, ME 04241 USA
For graphics-related questions please contact Ad Preparation Support. For all other questions please contact your Advertising Sales Representative.