Savory Sausage And Winter Squash Kebab
- 4 pork, chicken or turkey sausages — sliced thick
- 1 lb cubed winter squash.
- 4 Yukon Gold potatoes — cubed
- 4 large fresh whole beets,peeled and cubedfennel thick slicedolive oil for brushingmeat thermometer to test sausages.
- Directions:Alternate sausage, squash, potatoes, beets, and fennel on metal skewers. If using wood skewers, soak in water first. Brush with olive oil. Place on grill away from direct heat, turning at least once, until vegetables are soft and interior temperature of sausages is 160 degrees. Serves four.
*Peeling beets can be tricky and messy. You can try using a vegetable peeler, or it might be easier to boil them before leaving. Immediately peel skin, let cool, and cube.
Beth Herman is a freelance writer with interests in healthy living and food, family, animal welfare, architecture and design, religion, and yoga. She writes for a variety of national and regional publications, institutions, and websites.