These fun Halloween-themed recipes are so good and easy to make, it’s scary!
Severed Witch’s Fingers Cookies
Severed Witch’s Fingers Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup whole almonds (Marcona work best for this)
- Raspberry jam (seedless)
- Combine the butter, sugar, egg, almond extract, and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl. Beat together with an electric mixer.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt, and mix together thoroughly (a whisk works great).
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, beating continually, until a soft dough forms, fully incorporated.
- Refrigerate the dough for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 325° F.
- Scoop about a teaspoon of dough a piece of waxed paper (a mellon baller works well), and using the waxed paper, roll the dough into a thin finger shape. Use your inner artist to form knuckles, lines (using a toothpick), or whatever touches you'd like to create a true finger look. But avoid handling the dough too much.
- Place each finger on a greased cookie sheet. Repeat until the dough is gone.
- Press one almond into one end of each cookie to give the appearance of a fingernail. Remove the almond and place a tiny dollop of raspberry jam into the indentation left behind. Replace the almonds.
- Bake until the cookies turn a deep golden color, 20 to 25 minutes.
- If desired, dip the base of each “finger” in the raspberry jam before serving.
To make these cookies dairy-free, feel free to replace the butter with your favorite plant butter. But not coconut oil. We do not recommend using gluten-free flour with this recipe.
- 3 Bananas
- 12 Mini chocolate chips
- 6 Regular chocolate chips
- Directions:Peel banana and cut it in half widthwise. Press 1 regular-sized chocolate chip into each banana half for the ghost “mouth” and press 2 mini chocolate chips into the banana for the eyes. Easy peasy! Makes 6 ghosts.
Halloween Mummy Mini Pizzas
Halloween Mummy Mini Pizzas
- 8 English muffins, halved and toasted
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 16 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese, cut in 5 strips per pizza, or use string cheese sticks and slice lengthwise
- Assorted toppings like cubed ham, onions, tomatoes (if desired)
- 32 black olive slices
- Directions: Preheat oven to 400º F. Place the toasted English muffin halves on a baking sheet. Spread 1 tablespoon of sauce over each half. Place 2 of the black olives in place on each muffin half for eyes. Add any toppings you'd like.Lay the strips of cheese across the “face” of the muffin to look like mummy bandages.Bake pizzas for 5-7 minutes or until cheese is melted. Makes 16 mummy mini pizzas.
- 4-5 ripe tomatoes
- 1 large cucumber, peeled
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 green pepper, halved
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- Salt and pepper
- Directions:In a blender or food processor, combine two of the tomatoes, half of the cucumber, half of the onion, half of the green pepper, the garlic, and 1 cup of tomato juice. Blend until the veggies are pureed. In a large serving bowl, mix the pureed vegetables with the remaining tomato juice, olive oil, vinegar, pepper sauce (if desired), and yogurt. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve in decorative test tubes.
- 1 8 oz. can crescent roll dough sheets
- 5 slices cheese
- 10 hot dogs
- Cooking spray
- Mustard, ketchup, or edible googly eyes
- Directions:Preheat oven to 375° F. Unroll dough. Using kitchen scissors or a sharp knife, cut the dough into four equal rectangles, and each rectangle lengthwise into about 10 narrow strips. Break or cut the cheese slices in half. Wrap one half-slice of cheese around each hot dog, then wrap 3 dough bandages up the length of the hot dog, leaving the top inch or so bare. Be sure to crisscross the dough and leave empty space so it looks rough like bandages. Leaving about 1/2” of open space above the bandages for a “face,” wrap a fourth piece of dough around the bare tip of each frank. Place wrapped hot dogs on an ungreased cookie sheet and spray the dough lightly with cooking spray. Bake 10-15 minutes, until the dough is golden brown. Use ketchup or mustard to draw eyes on each mummy, or use edible googly eyes.
- Cake pop sticks
- 1 chocolate cake, prepared
- 1 container chocolate frosting
- 1 small bag green candy melts
- 1 small bag dark chocolate candy melts
- Directions:Cut the cake into cubes and place them in a large bowl. Use your hands to crumble the cake pieces into fine crumbs. Add in frosting a little at a time, using your hands to incorporate the frosting into the cake crumbs until cake is moist and can hold a ball shape, yet still slightly crumbly.Use small ice cream scoop to scoop out balls of the cake mixture. Roll each into a tight marshmallow-shaped cylinder and place them on a plate. Melt 2-4 ounces of green candy melts, following the directions on the package. Coat the tip of the lollipop sticks in melted candy and insert them about halfway into the cake forms. Place the pops in the freezer for about 20 minutes, still on the plate.Remove the cake pops from the freezer and carefully dip them into the melted candy until coated. Let the excess candy coating drip off, swirling and tapping gently if needed.Use a Styrofoam block to hold the pops upright — just jab the sticks into it — and place them in the freezer until the candy coating sets. Meanwhile, melt 2 ounces of chocolate candy melts according to the directions on the package. Pour the melted chocolate into a squeeze bottle and pipe a hair, eyes, a mouth, and scars onto each pop. Freeze until set.
Witches’ Brew With Hand.
Witches’ Brew With Hand
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen raspberries, thawed
- 2 1/2 cups cranberry juice
- 2 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
- 2 bottles (1 liter each) ginger ale
- 2 bottles (1 liter each) non-alcoholic sparkling cider
- 6 (or more) gummy snakes
- 1 cauldron (see above)
- Rubber glove (for frozen hand)
- Directions:To make the frozen hand: Wash and rinse the outside of a rubber glove. Turn glove inside out and set aside. In a 4 cup measuring cup, combine the thawed raspberries and cranberry juice.Pour 2 cups of the raspberry mixture into a small saucepan. Sprinkle the gelatin over and let stand 2 minutes. Warm over low heat, stirring constantly, just until gelatin dissolves. Mix back into the reserved raspberry mixture in the measuring cup.Pour raspberry mixture into the inverted glove. Gather up the top of the glove and tie securely with kitchen twine. Freeze until solid, several days if possible.To serve: Carefully cut glove away from frozen hand. Place frozen hand, palm side up, leaning against the side of a large punch bowl. Pour in ginger ale and sparkling cider. Garnish with gummy snakes.