Get ready for the ultimate chopped salad that incorporates a rainbow of colors for good health!
Fattoush is a Mediterranean salad that typically includes many fresh in-season vegetables such as lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, and then topped with pita chips, which add another layer of delicious crunch, and a garlic-lemon-mint dressing that bursts with flavor. This salad is a staple in Lebanese homes, and as with most dishes, there are many variations.
You can serve this salad on its own, or pair it with some marinated grilled chicken or steak for a completely healthy and satisfying meal. We promise, you’ll want to eat it every night!
- 1 heart of Romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/2 English cucumber, chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 2 green onions (scallions) chopped – use both white and green parts
- 3 radishes, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh Italian leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup pita chips (see note, below)
- 1 teaspoon dried sumac, available in most spice aisles or online
- Juice of 1 lemon, about 2 tablespoons
- 3 tablespoons very good olive oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic (depending how much you like), crushed with a garlic press
- 1 tablespoon dried mint – see notes, below.
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate syrup, or 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Set aside while you prepare the salad.
In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the vegetables, and sprinkle them with the dried sumac.
Gently crush the pita chips over the salad. Pour dressing over the vegetables and toss to combine thoroughly. Plate on white plates to let the colors of this wonderful salad be showcased! Top with the crumbled feta (if using). Serves 4.
- You can use as much or as little of each vegetable as you like. For example, if you’re not a fan of carrots, you can leave them out, or substitute with shredded red cabbage.
- You can use fresh mint for this recipe but dried mint works well. You can find it online. If using fresh, use about a 1/4 cup, chopped very finely.
- To make things easy, you can use store bought pita chips for this salad, or you can make your own (see recipe below).
Pita Chip Croutons
- 1 large whole pita, separated into two discs.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil for cooking.
Place each half of the pita in a frying pan with the oil and pan-fry on both sides until brown and crisp. Let cool. Then break into chip-sized pieces and toss with a small amount of salt. Add the pita chips to the finished salad.
Let us know if you tried this salad in the comments below!