- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb. tube breakfast sausage, hot or mild
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more as needed
- 2 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper, plus more as needed
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional, especially if you use hot sausage)
- 3 ½-4 cups whole milk, warmed slightly in microwave
Directions:Heat the butter in a dutch oven or large, heavy bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat until foaming. Add the sausage and brown, breaking it up with a wooden spatula as it cooks, until the meat is starting to brown, about 5 minutes.Reduce the heat to medium. Sprinkle the flour over the sausage and mix it well to coat the crumbled sausage meat. Season with the salt, pepper, and cayenne. Cook for another minute or two, stirring often.Gradually stir in the warm milk, scraping up any brown bits. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally until thickened. If the gravy is too thick, just thin it out with more milk. Taste the gravy and season with additional salt and pepper as needed.