So, you just found out you have an egg intolerance and you have to give up eggs. Or perhaps you’ve simply run out of eggs in the middle of baking brownies and you need a substitute fast. Can it be done? Fortunately, there are a number of ways to replace eggs in baking, as well as in many main courses. Here are 6 easy plant-based substitutes for eggs to try:
6 Easy Plant-Based Egg Substitutes
- Silken Tofu – You can use tofu as an easy, protein-packed replacement for eggs in baking, as long as you’re making a cake or dessert that requires baking powder and baking soda so that they leaven properly. Replace the egg with 1/4 cup silken tofu, and be sure to whip before mixing it into the batter.
- Arrowroot – Part of what eggs do in baking is bind ingredients together. An alternative is to mix 2 tablespoons of arrowroot with 3 tablespoons of water for each egg in your recipe.
- Chickpea Flour – Also called gram flour (not to be confused with graham flour) or besan flour, this pea-based flour creates a
great scrambled egg substitute when combined with nutritional yeast, and kalanamak, a special salt that imparts an egg-like flavor. Cooked up on its own or with an array of vegetables, you have a hearty breakfast substitute.
- Flax “Egg” – Flax “eggs” work well as a binder in whole grain baking. To make a flax “egg” stir 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed meal with 2.5 tablespoons of hot water. Let it rest for at least 5 minutes to thicken. It will create a gel-like consistency which can be used to replace 1 egg in recipes (pancakes, brownies).
- Applesauce – Substitute ¼ cup of applesauce for 1 egg in baked goods. It helps bind, adds moisture, and doesn’t add any cholesterol.
- Aquafaba – Aqua-what? Aquafaba is the water left behind from a drained can of chickpeas, and it’s gaining popularity as a plant-based alternative to eggs. Use 2 tablespoons of aquafaba as a vegan replacement for egg whites; 3 tablespoons of liquid replaces 1 whole egg. Add a pinch of cream of tartar and whip to a frothy consistency. It makes a great meringue!
Like what you read? We have many more ideas on foods for a plant-based diet in the 2020 Farmers’ Almanac.
2020 Farmers' Almanac
Before there were search engines, there was the Farmers' Almanac, a reference guide for all ages that has remained relevant. Includes four seasons accurate weather forecasts and the tools to help you to do your best fishing, gardening, and live a more natural, healthy lifestyle. Stress-free reading that will keep you entertained throughout the year! Keep one in the car, one in the garage, and give one as a gift! U.S. and Canadian editions; available in print and digital formats.