When is Thanksgiving Day?
In the United States, Thanksgiving Day is always the 4th Thursday in November. In 2021, Thanksgiving Day is Thursday, November 25th.
In Canada, Thanksgiving Day occurs on the second Monday in October.
|Year||U.S. Thanksgiving Day||Canadian Thanksgiving Day|
|2020||Thursday, November 26||Monday, October 12|
|2021||Thursday, November 25||Monday, October 11|
When Did Thanksgiving Become A Holiday?
Thanksgiving has been an official holiday since the days of George Washington, who, in 1789, issued the first proclamation of Thanksgiving to honor the new national constitution.
During the early 19th century, numerous states began to observe Thanksgiving on their own, setting different dates state by state.
In the 1860s, Mrs. Sarah J. Hale, editor of Codey’s Lady’s Book, mounted a vigorous campaign for a national Thanksgiving Day to be on the same date each year, coast to coast.
This gained presidential attention, and subsequently, on October 3 of 1863, Abraham Lincoln proclaimed the last Thursday of November as a National Day of Thanksgiving. We celebrated the official holiday together as a nation on November 26, 1863.
For the next seven decades, each U.S. President issued his own proclamation confirming the date. Then, in 1939, Franklin D. Roosevelt re-set the day as November’s third Thursday.
But, in 1941, a resolution was made to change it to the fourth Thursday of November, and it has remained thus ever since.
A Happy Thanksgiving Feast of Ideas!
We scoured the archives for our best Thanksgiving recipes, helpful hints, trivia, blogs, and more, and put them all in one spot so you won’t have to dig! Happy browsing!
- Healthier Thanksgiving Alternatives
- Cooking for Vegetarian Guests
- 4 Decadent Thanksgiving Pies to Try— Get ready for mouthwatering!
- Sugar-Free Cranberry Sauce
- Thanksgiving Bread – a delicious sweet bread your guests will love!
- It’s Winter Squash Season! Try These Varieties
- Vegetarian Stuffing – uses mushroom soup for flavor!
- 3 Classic Stuffing Recipes for Thanksgiving
- 3 Gluten-free Pie Crust Recipes
- Pumpkin Corn Bread—perfect for the Thanksgiving table!
Thanksgiving Helpful Hints
- Save Leftover Bread For Stuffing – a great tip!
- Set A Nature-Inspired Thanksgiving Table
- Relieve Heartburn Naturally!
- Keeping Your Turkey Moist
- Leave The Stuffing To The Turkey
- Thanksgiving Kitchen Safety Tips
- Fluffier Mashed Potatoes
- Use Your Slow Cooker As A Warmer – This one is ingenious!
- Cooking For A Crowd?
- Thanksgiving Traditions
- Blending Family Traditions at Thanksgiving
- 8 Things To Do On Thanksgiving Besides Watch Football
- Thanksgiving Blunders – Stories about when the meal has an epic fail!
Managing The Leftovers
- Homemade Turkey Broth – great to have on hand for cooking!
- Holiday Leftover Blues – ideas to help you tackle those leftovers
- Creative Ways To Use Up Leftover Turkey – unique and mouth-watering ways to use leftover turkey!
- Thanksgiving Leftovers Sandwich 2 Ways – Assembling the classic sandwich two ways.
- Clever Ways To Use Up Holiday Leftovers
- Smoked Turkey Brunswick Stew – A southern classic!
Riddles, Trivia & Nostalgia
- Why Did The Turkey Cross The Road?
- 5 Fun Turkey Facts For Thanksgiving
- Jellied Cranberry Sauce – A Side Dish of Nostalgia
- What Is the Difference Between a Thanksgiving Cactus and a Christmas Cactus?