When is Thanksgiving Day?
In the United States, Thanksgiving Day is always the 4th Thursday in November. In 2022, Thanksgiving Day is Thursday, November 24th.
In Canada, Thanksgiving Day occurs on the second Monday in October.
|Year||U.S. Thanksgiving Day||Canadian Thanksgiving Day|
|2022||Thursday, November 24||Monday, October 10|
|2023||Thursday, November 23||Monday, October 9|
|2024||Thursday, November 28||Monday, October 14|
When Did Thanksgiving Become A Holiday?
Thanksgiving has been an official holiday since the days of George Washington, who, in 1789, issued the first proclamation of Thanksgiving to honor the new national constitution.
During the early 19th century, numerous states began to observe Thanksgiving on their own, setting different dates state by state.
In the 1860s, Mrs. Sarah J. Hale, editor of Codey’s Lady’s Book, mounted a vigorous campaign for a national Thanksgiving Day to be on the same date each year, coast to coast.
This gained presidential attention, and subsequently, on October 3 of 1863, Abraham Lincoln proclaimed the last Thursday of November as a National Day of Thanksgiving. We celebrated the official holiday together as a nation on November 26, 1863.
For the next seven decades, each U.S. President issued his own proclamation confirming the date. Then, in 1939, Franklin D. Roosevelt re-set the day as November’s third Thursday.
But, in 1941, a resolution was made to change it to the fourth Thursday of November, and it has remained thus ever since.
A Happy Thanksgiving Feast of Ideas!
We scoured the archives for our best Thanksgiving recipes, helpful hints, trivia, blogs, and more, and put them all in one spot so you won’t have to dig! Happy browsing!
- 3 Decadent Thanksgiving Pies to Try— Get ready for some serious mouth watering!
- Easy Homemade Cranberry Sauce
- It’s Winter Squash Season! Try These Varieties
- 3 Classic Stuffing Recipes for Thanksgiving
- Baked Stuffed Acorn Squash With Cranberry Apple Stuffing
- Pumpkin Corn Bread—perfect for the Thanksgiving table!
Thanksgiving Helpful Hints
- Safely Thaw A Frozen Turkey
- Save Leftover Bread For Stuffing – a great tip!
- Set A Nature-Inspired Thanksgiving Table
- Tips To Relieve Heartburn Naturally!
- Keeping Your Turkey Moist
- Thanksgiving Kitchen Safety Tips
- Fluffier Mashed Potatoes
- Use Your Slow Cooker As A Warmer – This one is ingenious!
- Cooking For A Crowd?
Managing The Leftovers
- Yummy Ways To Use Up Thanksgiving Leftovers
- Thanksgiving Leftovers Sandwich 2 Ways – Assembling the classic sandwich two ways.
- Smoked Turkey Brunswick Stew – A southern classic!
Riddles, Trivia & Nostalgia
- Why Did The Turkey Cross The Road?
- 5 Fun Turkey Facts For Thanksgiving
- Jellied Cranberry Sauce – A Side Dish of Nostalgia
- What Is the Difference Between a Thanksgiving Cactus and a Christmas Cactus?