See how many of these questions you can answer.
1. Which fruit-bearing trees are evergreens?
2. Of all the vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted each year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?
3. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?
4. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn’t been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?
5. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.
How well did you do? Review the answers below.
Answers To Quiz:
2. asparagus and rhubarb
4. The pear grew inside the bottle. (The bottles are placed over pear buds when they are small and are wired in place on the tree. The bottle is left in place for the entire growing season. When the pears are ripe, they are snipped off at the stems.)
5. fresh lettuce
Deborah Tukua is a natural living, healthy lifestyle writer and author of 7 non-fiction books, including Naturally Sweet Blender Treats. She has been a writer for the Farmers' Almanac since 2004.