August 8th is International Cat Day, a day to celebrate the fascinating felines in our lives. Here are 10 facts about cats you probably didn’t know:
10 Fascinating Facts About Cats
- A cat has 32 muscles in each ear (a human has 6).
- Cats have over one hundred vocal sounds. Dogs only have about 10.
- Cats have 230 bones, while humans only have 206.
- Cats’ long tails actually serve a purpose — they use them to balance themselves when they’re jumping or walking on narrow planks like banisters and railings.
- Cats’ whiskers aren’t just for show. They are a very important tool, and are used to “feel” the world around them. Their whiskers are generally about the same width as their bodies.
- Cats were once worshipped as gods (and they haven’t forgotten this!).
- Cats walk by moving their legs in this order: right rear, right front, left rear, left front (see below). The rear leg almost looks like it’s “kicking” the front leg forward. This gait is unique to cats.
- There are cats who have more than 18 toes. They are often referred to as “double pawed” when this happens, but the correct term is “polydactyl.”
- Cats are believed to be the only animals who don’t taste sweetness. Interesting, as some like cantaloupe!
- Cats’ claws are curved downward, which is great for climbing up trees, but a problem for getting down, which is why they often get stuck. They need to climb down backwards, rather than face first, which they don’t often try.
Collapsible Pet Water Bowl
Traveling with your pet just got easier! Our Collapsible Pet Water Bowl lets your pup (or cat!) “Paws for a Drink” while on the road, at the beach or on a hike, and the compact Leash Light keeps you both safe during those early morning or late-night walks. The silicone bowl flattens to fit easily into backpacks and suitcases, or you can attach it to your bag or belt loop with the sturdy carabiner. The leash light secures to your pet’s collar, leash, or your shirt with strong magnets at each end. LED light flashes red or beams steady white to ensure you’re both seen. Bowl measures 5” across and 2.25" deep.