10 Problems Solved With Spuds – Potato Home Remedies
We all know spuds are a delicious, budget-friendly food, but did you know they can also perform a multitude of tasks around the home? Check out this list!
We all know that potatoes are delicious, budget-friendly food, but did you know they can also perform a multitude of tasks around the home? Check out this amazing list of potato home remedies.
10 Surprising Uses For Potatoes
- Gravy thickener – Instant mashed potatoes are a good thickener for stews and gravies.
- Silverware cleaner – Use the water from boiling potatoes to clean tarnished silverware. Let the water cool, soak the silverware in it for 30 minutes, then wash and dry.
- Dry skin remedy – Grate 1 or 2 small potatoes and soak them in olive oil for twenty minutes. Place the potato/oil mixture on your dry hands, and leave it on for at least 10 minutes. Then rinse your hands to clean them of the potatoes.
- Sunburn soother – For instant relief, mix instant mashed potato flakes with crushed ice. Make a paste, and apply it to affected areas for 10 minutes. Then rinse with cool water.
- Splinter remover – Cut a potato into thin slices. Place one slice on the splinter. Varying sources suggest leaving it on the spot for 10-20 minutes to the whole night. If you decide to leave it overnight, secure the potato slice with two bandages to keep it in place. When you remove the potato, the splinter should slide out.
- Poison ivy treatment – Whip a raw potato into a paste in your blender. Spread it onto the affected area and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Potatoes are known for their anti-inflammatory properties and can soothe the rash.
- Kitchen burn remedy – Gently rub a potato slice onto the burned area. It is said that the starch neutralizes the burn and helps prevent scarring. And the coolness of the potato will help soothe the burn.
- Soup rescuer – If you accidentally over-salt the soup or a dish, just drop in a peeled potato to absorb the excess salt.
- Eye de-puffer – Slices of raw potatoes will help reduce swelling and puffiness of the eyes. Lay slices over your eyes and relax for 10 minutes.
- Rust remover – You can use a slice of potato to scrub rusted surfaces—this works especially well for knife blades, pots, and pans. Sprinkle a little salt or baking soda onto the potato and then rub it over the rust spot, or just insert the knife into a potato and let it sit. The oxalic acid in the potato helps to dissolve the rust.
- BONUS: Windshield deicer – The night before freezing temperatures, rub half a potato over your car’s windshield. The sugar from the potato creates a barrier over the window and prevents ice from forming, so you’ll come out in the morning and won’t have to scrape! Just rinse with wiper fluid.
Do you have a potato remedy? Share in the comments below!
Potatoes, illegal? Read about the man who changed all that!
This article was published by the staff at Farmers' Almanac. Do you have a question or an idea for an article? Contact us!
How many winters do we go thru. And what is this winter we are going through now?
I can testify to potatoes helping welders flash-I was tacking steel together all day without my shield, I would close my eyes quickly thinking I was ok- about 1 a.m. I woke up in the worst pain I’ve ever had! Visine felt like I was pouring gas with glass shards in my eyes- I called a guy I knew on the pipeline, and he said to cut the ends off of a potato and place the white on my eyes… I had never witnessed such an amazing remedy?! Instantly the potato drew out the heat, and the pain was bearable!! I still had puffy red eyes for a day or so, but the potato was a miracle!!
I can testify about potatoes and burns. In 1969 my little sister pulled the boiling water for plucking chickens over on her self. Mom, tossed her in the wading pool and had my sister and I shredding potatoes and applying them to her legs. She never scarred, and it pulled the heat out. In two days or so she was fine. Best thing I ever learned as an 11 year old.
A lightbulb broke while still in the socket. My landlord cut a potato in half and stuck it into the sharp glass and unscrewed it!
Place sliced or grated potato on sunburn to draw out heat.
If you have a broken light bulb, the glass itself, put the potato on it, and twist, the bulb will come out of the socket.
To remove hunger peel and cook a potatoe anyway you like. Then eat it.
I eat potatoes raw with salt sprinkled on it.
To remove hunger by peeling and cooking anyway you like. Then eat it.
If you’re sick with a cold, sore throat in pain and nothing helps. Cut a slice of potato off the size of the bottom of your foot place it in your sock at night and by morning the toxins will be gone..
I also use the water from boiled potatoes to water plants can after it cools
I have rubbed a peeled piece of potato on small warts and the warts disappeared.
Are you for real, I’m gonna try that. I have some tiny 0nes that just appear around my neck area, can it also be used for toenail fungus or black marks on toenails, either way I’m trying this Thanks!
Place a piece of potato peel in your bag of brown sugar to keep it soft.
When I was almost 3 years old (66 years ago) I fell against a coal burning stove and burned my whole forearm badly. My mother grabbed me and a potato. She cut a potato in half and took a spoon and scraped the potato enough to have an amount to cover my burn. She then wrapped a white cloth around it and held me in a rocking chair, rocking me. The potato took away most of the pain and I have absolutely no scar or mark on my arm. I never did after the burn healed. Yes, I can remember that and I was 31 months old. It was that painful and traumatic to me.
Cut potatoes in half place on pieces of foil. Sprinkle garlic powder seasoned salt pepper and butter or the spices you like add one tablespoon butter seal up the foil and then place on grill for about 15 minutes on medium turn potatoes several times. Remove from foil salt and pepper. also works in oven baking about 40 minutes at 400 degrees.
MY DAD AND HUSBAND ARE BOTH WELDERS. WHEN THEY WOULD GET “WELDER FLASH” TO THERE EYES THE USE OF GRATED POTATOES REALLY HELPED. GRATE ONE POTATOE AND PUT INTO CLEAN WHITE PIECE OF CLOTH, (WHITE HANKY WORKS WELL) TIE OFF AND LAY ONTO AFFECTED (CLOSED) EYELID. LEAVE ON UNTIL EYE STOPS BURNING. ( APPROX 10 TO 45 MINUTES)
My grandma had me use the potato when I was a teenager and had horrible acne. She had me wash my face and then take a potato slice and rub it all over. I did that morning and night and the acne cleared up so well. It was a godsend for a teenager. I’ve continued it with my kids and it still works.
My Daddy LOVED to eat RAW POTATO Sandwiches!
Simply peel, slice, salt, pepper, and ENJOY!!!
I love anything my Daddy would eat.
Also, HOME-FRIED POTATOES make great sandwiches too
Place a sliced potato on your eye lids after they have been burned by welding or when you remove your contacts from your eyes when your eyes are dried out.
Rainy day fun for kids (or those who have the heart of a kid): cut a potato in half and carve a design in it. Use stamping ink pads to make patterns on paper or on plain white sheet scraps. These can become bandanas, place mats, a small laundry bag, etc.
bake on grill butter sour cream and other toppings you like salt pepper and eat that sucker. now, that’s what I’ d do to a potato.
You can also use a potato to remove a broken light bulb from the socket. Just cut the potato in half.. Make sure the power is OFF to the socket.. Press the potato onto the socket and twist out the base of the broken light bulb. Easy Peasy
Kitchen burn remedy – Rub a potato slice onto the area. The starch neutralizes the burn and helps prevent scarring.
I suggest that you puree the potato (juicer or blender) then place that on the burn. Rubbing a burn would make the affected area worse and it would hurt more than the burn itself.