We all know that potatoes are a delicious, budget-friendly food, but did you know they can also perform a multitude of tasks around the home? Check out this amazing list of potato home remedies.
10 Surprising Uses For Potatoes
- Gravy thickener – Instant mashed potatoes are a good thickener for stews and gravies.
- Silverware cleaner – Use the water from boiling potatoes to clean tarnished silverware. Let the water cool, soak the silverware in it for 30 minutes, then wash and dry.
- Dry skin remedy – Grate 1 or 2 small potatoes and soak them in olive oil for twenty minutes. Place the potato/oil mixture on your dry hands, and leave it on for at least 10 minutes. Then rinse your hands to clean them of the potatoes.
- Sunburn soother – For instant relief, mix instant mashed potato flakes with crushed ice. Make a paste, and apply it to affected areas for 10 minutes. Then rinse with cool water.
- Splinter remover – Cut a potato into thin slices. Place one slice on the splinter. Varying sources suggest leaving it on the spot for 10-20 minutes to the whole night. If you decide to leave it overnight, secure the potato slice with two bandages to keep it in place. When you remove the potato, the splinter should slide out.
- Poison ivy treatment – Whip a raw potato into a paste in your blender. Spread it onto the affected area and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Potatoes are known for their anti-inflammatory properties and can soothe the rash.
- Kitchen burn remedy – Gently rub a potato slice onto the burned area. It is said that the starch neutralizes the burn and helps prevent scarring. And the coolness of the potato will help soothe the burn.
- Soup rescuer – If you accidentally over-salt the soup or a dish, just drop in a peeled potato to absorb the excess salt.
- Eye de-puffer – Slices of raw potatoes will help reduce swelling and puffiness of the eyes. Lay slices over your eyes and relax for 10 minutes.
- Rust remover – You can use a slice of potato to scrub rusted surfaces—this works especially well for knife blades, pots, and pans. Sprinkle a little salt or baking soda onto the potato and then rub it over the rust spot, or just insert the knife into a potato and let it sit. The oxalic acid in the potato helps to dissolve the rust.
- BONUS: Windshield deicer – The night before freezing temperatures, rub half a potato over your car’s windshield. The sugar from the potato creates a barrier over the window and prevents ice from forming, so you’ll come out in the morning and won’t have to scrape! Just rinse with wiper fluid.
Do you have a potato remedy? Share in the comments below!