Crispy And Delicious Potato Latkes
- 3 pounds potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour or matzo meal
- 1 onion minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper, to taste
- paprika, to taste
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- Wash and peel the potatoes, then grate with a grater or food processor. Drain off all liquid, and squeeze the excess liquid out by hand. Then pat dry with paper towels.
- Beat the eggs and mix with the grated potatoes and other ingredients, except the oil.
- Heat about 1/2 inch of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until very hot. Drop potato mixture by heaping tablespoons into oil (about 4 at a time).
- Use a pancake turner or the back of a spoon to flatten them out. Fry to golden brown on both sides (about 3 minutes per side).
- Drain on paper towels. Serve topped with applesauce or sour cream.
Denise Dill is a co-op livin', garden diggin', homegrown cookin' fool who creates soups of song out of local ingredients. She's currently working as a baker and soup maker while she completes culinary school. In the past, she worked as an urban gardener and community cooking educator. She has also toured the country as a folk musician, opening for such acts as Pamela Means and Hamell on Trial.