The aroma of apples and cinnamon make this apple dumpling recipe the perfect fall treat. Add a scoop of ice cream for a truly decadent dessert!
Easy Country Apple Dumplings
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening or lard
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 6 large apples, cored and peeled,
- Dough: Cut ingredients in a mixing bowl with a pastry blender. Add ice water one tablespoon at a time (this will prevent the dough from clumping together). Then form the dough into a large ball and place in the fridge for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Filling: Mix all these ingredients in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Take the cold dough out of the fridge and roll out on a cutting board into a large rectangle, 24 x 16 inches. Cut the dough into 6 equal pieces.
- Core your 6 apples and place each apple in the center of a square of pastry. Pour the sugar mixture into the center of each apple. Fold dough around the apple.
- Place the wrapped apples into a 9 x 13 ungreased pan.
- Bake for 30-35 min. at 375 F. When done, place each in a dessert bowl, drizzle with honey if you'd like, and serve!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!