Why spend a lot of money on condiments from the grocery store that are, in most cases, loaded with corn syrup, artificial flavors, and preservatives? It’s easy to make your own ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, and more right at home with ingredients you probably already have. Here are a few simple recipes for these favorite kitchen staples:
- 1 (28-oz) can whole tomatoes in purée
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Directions:Blend tomatoes and purée in a blender until smooth. In a heavy 4-quart saucepan, cook onion in oil over moderate heat, stirring, until softened (about 8 minutes). Add puréed tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar, vinegar, allspice, and salt. Simmer, uncovered, stirring frequently, until very thick (about an hour). Purée mixture in a blender until smooth. Chill, covered, for two hours before serving.
Homemade Yellow Mustard
- 1/4 cup ground mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons whole mustard seed, crushed with a mortar and pestle
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Directions:Combine mustard and mustard seed, salt, and sugar in a bowl. Whisk in wet ingredients until combined. Pour into a container, cover, and keep refrigerated for 2 days before using. This step is important as mustard needs to mellow for a bit, and it will thicken up. Mustard will keep in the refrigerator for at least 4 months.Feel free to add a tablespoon of horseradish, garlic powder, or tarragon to the finished product for added flavor!
- 2 egg yolks
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar Pinch cayenne pepper
- 4 to 5 teaspoons lemon juice or white vinegar
- 1-1/2 cups olive or other salad oil
- 4 teaspoons hot water
- Directions:In a small bowl, beat together egg yolks, salt, mustard, sugar, pepper, and 1 teaspoon lemon juice, until very thick and pale yellow. Add 1/4 cup oil, drop by drop, beating vigorously. Beat in 1 teaspoon each of lemon juice and hot water. Add another 1/4 cup oil, a few drops at a time, beating vigorously. Beat in another teaspoon each lemon juice and water. Add 1/2 cup oil in a fine steady stream, beating continuously, then mix in remaining lemon juice, water, and oil. Cover and refrigerate.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 ounce mustard
- 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 ounce chipotle chili in adobo sauce, chopped finely
- 1/4 ounce fresh garlic, minced Salt, to taste
- Directions:Combine mayonnaise, mustard, lime juice, chipotles, and garlic in the bowl of a food processor. Purée until fully combined. Add salt to taste. Cover and refrigerate.