A delicious mixture of tart and sweet lemons, inside a flaky crust. This is our favorite recipe!
Lemon Meringue Pie
- 1 9-inch pie shell, baked
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon peel, grated
- 1 tbs butter
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 6 tbs granulated sugar
- In a saucepan, mix the cornstarch, sugar, and salt.
- Gradually add hot water and cook over direct heat, stirring continuously until the mixture becomes thick and clear, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Beat the egg yolks together and gradually stir 1/4 cup of the cornstarch mixture into the yolks.
- Pour this mixture back into the saucepan and cook at low heat, stirring continuously, for about 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the lemon juice, peel, and butter. Allow this mixture to cool somewhat before pouring into the pie shell.
- To make the meringue, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the sugar and continue beating until the meringue holds in firm glossy peaks.
- Spread meringue evenly over the pie filling.
- Bake at 350º F for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!