6 Healthy Reasons To Love Lemons
Lemons not only make a great glass of lemonade but they naturally contain valuable health and beauty aide properties as well.
According to Phyllis Balch, C.N.C., author of Prescription for Cooking and Dietary Wellness, “No drink can compare with the valuable properties, internally or externally. [Lemon water] promotes healing.”
Lemons: The Ultimate Detoxifier
Balch also confirms that lemons help detox and cleanse the bloodstream and liver, reduce inflammation, treat colds, influenza, sore throat, bronchitis, asthma, indigestion, heartburn, scurvy, fevers, and rheumatism. They are a wonderful liver stimulant and a solvent for uric acid (gout relief) and other toxins.
Natural Lemon Remedies
Try one or all of these natural lemon remedies:
- Liver Flush, Blood Purifier, Immunity Boost — Drink the juice of one lemon in a cup of warm water each morning. (Lemon juice should not be consumed if you have an ulcer).
- Acne Treatment — After washing the face to remove oils, pat the face with lemon juice three times a day.
- Cough Suppressant — Mix lemon juice and honey in a small glass jar. Take a tablespoon as needed.
- Hand Cleaner, Softener, and Odor Remover — To cleanse and soften the hands after washing dishes, or to remove vegetable stains, such as beet stains, rub hands well with lemon juice. It will also remove strong odors such as onions and fish from the hands.
- Heartburn Relief — Add 1 tablespoon lemon juice to half a glass of water and drink.
- Sore Throat Gargle — Combine equal amounts of lemon juice and tepid water. Gargle and spit.