If you’re a fan of apple fritters or anything that involves apples in dessert form, this recipe is for you. They’re easy to make and satisfy your sweet tooth as well as your desire to cook something spectacular. And, if you’re out of flour but happen to have some pancake mix in the pantry, it’s a win!
This recipe creates a “Dutch Apple” style of fritter and uses a basic pancake batter that you can make from scratch or buy in a pouch for 99 cents (and all you have to do is add water). It’s best to let the batter sit for about 5 minutes so it really clings to the apple rings.
I made one batch using three apples but the batter made enough for 6 apples.
I used my apple peeler/slicer/corer gadget, which made creating perfect rings a breeze, but you can do this step by hand. The firmer the apple the better. If it’s mealy, the apple will fall apart in the batter.
Simply dunk the rings in the batter until fully coated on both sides.
Use tongs to transport them from the batter to the cooking oil for frying. Fry until deep golden brown on each side. Be sure your oil is hot enough, 350º F, but not too hot or they’ll burn (always use caution with hot oil!). The fritters won’t be perfect rings through the process, but that’s OK. Using a slotted spoon, remove the fritters and drain on paper towels until slightly cooled.
Shortcut Dutch Apple Fritters
- 6 firm fresh apples, any variety—peeled, cored, and sliced into rings. Cortlands and Granny Smith work great.
- 2 cups pancake batter (prepared and let sit for a few minutes before using)
- vegetable oil for frying
- cinnamon & sugar, or powdered sugar, for dusting
- Peel and core the apples, then slice in 1/2 ” thick rings. Blot dry with a paper towel, then dip slices in the prepared pancake batter.
- Heat oil to 350ºF and carefully lower the rings into the hot oil. Work in batches so as to not overcrowd the pan. Deep fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Drain on paper towels and allow to cool slightly, then roll in cinnamon sugar or sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve warm. Makes 24 fritters.