Snakes may incite fear in many, but they can be a great garden companion. Life-like fake plastic snakes work magic at keeping many wildlife pests out of your fruit and vegetable crops.
- placed in the garden can scare away rabbits and birds much better than a scarecrow.
- can be hung from the blueberry bush to keep the birds and other animals away.
- can be placed on the windshield of your car to keep the birds at bay.
- placed in planters can keep squirrels out.
- Sneaky yet easy: cut an old hose in three-foot lengths and scatter the pieces in the garden. They look like snakes and will scare small critters like rabbits.
Not All Fake Snakes Are Created Equal
The more realistic-looking and lifelike the fake snake, the better success you’ll have keeping rabbits and other small critters out of your garden. Place the snake near the plants where you most often see the pests. Move it around the garden often to keep pests from getting used to it. Rubber snakes can be purchased in toy shops and many garden centers that sell pest scare devices.
Got Unwelcome Snakes Around Your Property?
You may want to consider pouring a ring of powdered lime around the perimeter of the hen house or swimming pool, to keep the snakes from crossing.
Deborah Tukua is a natural living, healthy lifestyle writer and author of 7 non-fiction books, including Pearls of Garden Wisdom: Time-Saving Tips and Techniques from a Country Home, Pearls of Country Wisdom: Hints from a Small Town on Keeping Garden and Home, and Naturally Sweet Blender Treats. Tukua has been a writer for the Farmers' Almanac since 2004.