Our Lemon Recipe Contest announced in the 2016 Farmers’ Almanac received over 100 yummy recipes and we had a delicious time making and tasting them. We chose three winning recipes to feature in the 2017 Farmers’ Almanac as well as awarded cash prizes to the winning cooks.
Here’s our First Place Winning Lemon Recipe:
Moroccan Lemon Toasted Chickpea Orzo Salad
- 1 1/2 cups dry orzo pasta (about 9 ounces)
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger root, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup pitted dates, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup pitted assorted olives, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Stir in orzo, and cook 8–10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until cooked al dente; drain and reserve in large pot.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet, over medium-high heat, until hot.
- Pat the chickpeas dry, using a dishtowel, then add to skillet.
- Cook the beans for 6–8 minutes, stirring often, until light golden brown, and fragrant; add beans to orzo.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the additional 3 teaspoon olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, lemon zest, ginger root, curry powder, pepper and salt, until well combined.
- Drizzle the mixture over orzo, and stir well to combine.
- Stir in dates, olives, feta, and parsley, until well combined. Serve warm or chilled.
Lemon Thyme Chicken
Spicy Lemon and Curry Soup
North Attleboro, Massachusetts
Check out on the new food ingredient for our recipe contest and how to enter!