Here at Farmers’ Almanac, we know (and don’t shy away from the fact) that the Number 1 place to read your copy of the Almanac is in the bathroom. In fact, in a reader survey, nearly half of the respondents indicated that, of all the rooms in the house, the bathroom is, in fact, where their copy of the Farmers’ Almanac resides. Because our publication has been America’s favorite front-to-back read for over 2 centuries, we have dedicated an entire day to it, crowning May 6th as Read Your Farmers’ Almanac in the Bathroom Day!
Starting with the first edition back in 1818, readers used to nail holes into the corners of the publication to hang it up in their homes, barns, and outhouses (to provide both reading material and toilet paper when in a bind). In 1919, the Almanac’s publishers began pre-drilling holes in the corners to make it even easier for readers to keep all of that invaluable information (and paper) handy. While plumbing has primarily moved indoors, the hole is so iconic that it is a part of every edition to this day. Read “The Story Behind the Hole Drilled in the Farmers’ Almanac.“
Each edition is filled with useful tips, hacks, trivia, weather forecasts—you can learn a lot as you peruse the pages, no matter how short your visit.
How To Celebrate “Read Your Farmers’ Almanac in the Bathroom Day”
Check out these interesting stories and tips related to all things WC:
- What Did People Use Before Toilet Paper?
- Bathroom Etiquette – Over or Under? – “Should You Hang the TP Over or Under?” The debate rages on!
- Outhouse Trivia
- DIY Odor-Masking Toilet spray
- Natural toilet cleaners
- Tip for cleaning bathroom grout
- Brilliant Uses for empty TP tubes
- Maintain your septic system naturally
- Lavatory Legend: The Story of Thomas Crapper
We also created a Spotify playlist so you can enjoy some fun tunes on this special day!
Print Your Own Privacy Door Hanger!
Need a little privacy for the Big Day? We’ve also created a commemorative two-sided Do Not Disturb bathroom door hanger which can help facilitate some extra privacy at home. You can download and print the single-sided PDF version (below) on your home computer.
Follow these easy directions to print your own “Read Your Farmers’ Almanac in the Bathroom Day” bathroom doorknob hanger:
- Open the door hanger PDF and select print on your computer. Print both pages.
- Cut out the hanger rectangles first, place them back to back, fastening together with a glue stick or tape. Then cut out the knob circle.
- Hang on any doorknob anywhere you want some peace and quiet on May 6th.
- Crow about it! Take a picture of your door hanger where it’s hangin’ and share it on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, with #BookOfThrones.
If your lavatory reading has been limited to your smartphone, why not go back to the original bathroom read on May 6th? It’s entertaining, informative, and doesn’t require charging! Happy reading!